Program Type: Display
Time Frame: Passive
Space Needed: Display board or wall space
- Paper, lettering, and adhesive for display
- Staff time to create images
- Staff time to create book lists/Pull books
Modified from the “Where Would Poe Go?” board at the Enoch Pratt free library (view the image via Fliker here https://www.flickr.com/photos/enochprattlibrary/6195747384/).
This board would highlight nonfiction Victorian and Steampunk adventure books in your collection. Using images of classic landmarks (Big Ben, Eiffle Tower, Pyramids) paired with a question like “Where Will Adventure Take You” or “Where Will You Go?” or using a classic Victorian figure like “Where Would Verne/Tesla/Poe Go?”. This is a chance to draw attention to the visual side of steampunk literature by include the image of a large mechanical dirigible, balloon, or flying machine passing over the landmarks. Depending on your space you can have physical copies of the books underneath the colorful board, or have printed copies of the book covers attached to it.
- A Lady’s Experience in the Wild West in 1883 by Rose Pender
- Fine Young Turks (Galvanic Century #7) by Michael Coorlim
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne (book and film editions)
- Blameless by Gail Carriger
- Airborn by Kenneth Oppel
- The Volcano Lady: Vol. 1 – A Fearful Storm Gathering by T. E. MacArthur
- Shanghai Steam edited by Renee Bennett